PARTS / MANUAL
There are many reliable garages / workshops / suppliers / websites / around the county who offer an abundance of information as well as parts and service etc – Try these websites, or go on any search engine and type -‘Vespa Parts / Scooter Parts’ etc.
Download Original Vespa 150 Owner & Parts Manual HERE
Want technical advice?
Start with the www.AltScooter.com newsgroup and then join the Two Stroke Smoke mailing list. You'll get more advice than you know what to do with.
Also, access this website, www.scooterhelp.com, or www.scooterbbs.com. These are your definitive website bibles amongst scooter enthusiasts!
Operating, maintenance and troubleshooting tips:
- Remember to mix two-cycle synthetic 2-4% motor oil to gas (any kind of unleaded gas is useable). For example: mix about 3.2-6.4 Fl oz of motor oil to 1 gallon of gas. Use a mixture cup, if you don't have one, buy one locally.
- Never twist gear handle (left handle) when engine is not running and clutch lever is not squeezed in. (This becomes a habit to every one when he or she first sees a Vespa). This may cause push-pull cables in gear selector to loosen the tightened nuts.
- Always make sure gear handle is at the neutral position (the dot-mark, NOT 1 or 2) when starting the engine.
- Never try to push your scooter when the gear is not in neutral position, this may cause gear cables to become loose.
- Don’t pull the choke when you don’t need to. If engine will not start after a couple of kicks, then pull the choke, when the engine starts, push the choke back in place.
- ENGINE WON’T START? - When the engine will not start, it could be no gas or no spark. Check fuel tap is in the ‘On’ position. It’s fun to get to understand your scooter, remove the left cover and remove spark. After removing spark, inspect carefully, if very dry, then there is no gas, if wet, then no spark will be created, if black and oily, then you must have mixed too much oil to gas, it makes it difficult to start engine. If the scooter has gas and will not start, you may need to bump start it. Place the gear in first gear holding the clutch in firmly, make your way down a hill and let out the clutch twisting the throttle at the same time. Once you have the engine running, then the engine will hopefully start on the next occasion.
- Always find a local repair shop, you may need it for a little service and repair.
- Washing: Best way is by using a soft towel, soap and water. DO NOT spray water directly on the engine; it’s not entirely waterproof.
- Always check the brakes after washing, DO NOT accelerate right after washing. TEST the brakes first!
- When cruising, use rear brake first (pedal on floor) before using front brake (right lever). Never use front brake to stop the scooter alone - Very dangerous!
- Changing the gear case oil every 600-1000 miles is recommended. There are two oil screws (‘Oil’ stamped on them) at the base of the engine, the lower screw underneath the engine is to drain the oil, the other is used to apply oil (use a thin funnel). We recommend you use TRANSOIL 2-stroke gearbox oil SAE 10W30, available at most stores. In order to change the oil, simply undo the lower screw and let the oil drain out, there won’t be much. Once the oil is completely drained, place the screw back in and tighten. Take the other oil screw out and using a thin funnel or an oil syringe, pour / pump the new oil into the hole until it begins to leak out, let it drip out until it stops, then put the screw back in. (You won’t need much oil)